« March Date Wednesday September 13, 2006 March Day 89 | Main | March Date Friday September 15, 2006 March Day 91 »

March Date Thursday September 14, 2006 March Day 90

Good Day to all March to Yorktown followers and supporters ~

Again....dark morning reveille with the rains beginning during the night. The marchers ready to leave Belmont. Oil cloths are donned as the sky is dark and ominous, promising a full day of wet travel. Martha is left behind and the men are transported by carriage to the start point of Waterloo - intersection of route 175 and Washington Boulevard. We join hands and pray, as is our custom and the men set off.

The army is a mere two miles out when Rose receives a call to fetch muskets and parade attire and accoutrements in anticipation of the army passing Fort Mead some six miles from the start of today's journey. After a quick trip back to Martha, the support carriage meets the group on the outskirts of Fort Mead territory with David's brother John and twins also in the group's attendance. Everyone is photographed, interviewed and videoed by the Fort Mead reporters for their base publication..... All in the rain.

Once past the main gate, the army once again trades regimentals and muskets for oil cloth and flags, and resumes the march....another five miles to John Holloway's home in Odenton, a respite from the rain and an opportunity for noon nourishment. Rose and John travel ahead in the small wagons and wait for the troop's arrival by visiting with Mom Jean, Amy and the girls. The men arrive, wet and already drained from the foul weather, but with still another eight miles travel for this day. Everyone takes sustenance, Mike sleeps in his chair at the table for a short spell and they return to the road with the heavens still pouring rain.

Brother John kindly runs "point" with Rose in his carriage, determining mileage and locating the Rising Sun Inn where the Anne Arundel Chapter DAR is planning a reception for the army, at approximately the 15 mile mark. After meeting with Sandy Anderson at the Inn and establishing the men's estimated time of arrival, John and Rose fetch camp Martha some 20+ miles back at Belmont and deposit her at his home in Odenton, that much closer to tonight's camp at Scott's Plantation at Belvoir, 18 miles from the start. Yes, the logistics are complicated and time consuming, especially with the day's getting shorter and John's assistance is greatly appreciated.

Rose finds the men at the Rising Sun Inn where they are being well received. The DAR has prepared a grand table of many cheeses, crackers, breads, fruits and beverages for the soldiers' brief passing, and the DAR members' warmth and admiration is exuded in this handsome building on Generals Highway. Long after the soldiers depart to finish the day's march, Rose lingers to chat and answer questions about the marchers and our journey. I feel that I am among friends and am wont to leave. Thank you all ~ Sandy, Joyce, Bill, Barabara and Ellen. Your love and concern will indeed keep our country's history alive.

The men have continued the day's march to our destination...Belvoir, 18 miles in alternating drizzle and pouring rain. We travel by carriage back to brother John's for a 21st century dinner of pizza and take advantage of the clothes dryer. When all is put right, the group proceeds with Martha to our night's camp. Now dark, one tent is set on the lower pasture for Mike. The ground is saturated, regimentals and oilcloths are drenched. From this remote camp, there are no traffic sounds, no artificial lighting, no other carriages on this dirt road.

We retire to our beds. 'Twas a long difficult day, the second in succession....and the troop has endured. A demain.
Avec amour,